To determine the cause of a balance or dizziness problem, we thoroughly assess the symptoms and concerns and then conduct a physical examination. Ear health can affect your balance too. We can assess the causes of imbalance, dizziness or vertigo and suggest rehabilitation exercises.
Based on your descriptions and exam results, your doctor will develop a working diagnosis.
Depending on what he or she determines, your doctor may then order tests designed to confirm the diagnosis.
The test results also determine how key components are functioning.
Balance services provided at 2800 S Arlington Rd #102, Akron, Ohio 44312
Videonystagmography (VNG) is used to evaluate patients with dizziness, vertigo, or balance dysfunction.
Please, discontinue use of the following medications for 48 hours prior to your test:
- Allergy pills
- Tranquilizers (Valium, Libruim, Xanax, etc.)
- Sedative pills (all sleeping pills or tranquilizers)
- Decongestants/Antihistamines (Benadryl, Sudafed, Dimetapp, Chlortrimeton, Seldane)
- Pain pills
- Diet pills
- Nerve/muscle relaxant pills (Robaxin, Valium)
- Dizziness pills (Antivert, Meclizine, Bonine, ear patches, etc.)
- Aspirin or aspirin substitutes (Tylenol, etc.)
- Narcotics/Barbiturates (Codeine, Demerol, Percodan, Phenobarbital, antidepressants)
- Clean face, no makeup.
- Remove contact lenses before the examination (bring your eyeglasses).
- No solid foods for 2 to 4 hours before the test.
- No coffee, tea, or cola after midnight on the day of the test.
- No alcoholic beverages/liquid medication containing alcohol 48 hours before the test.
- Discontinue all medication for 48 hours prior to the test, except “maintenance” medications for your heart, blood pressure, diabetes, or seizures, and any medications deemed by your physician to be necessary. Please consult your physician with any questions.